PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Conspicuity in the UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 12:28
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by airpolice
What would be great would be a £200 ModeS ADSB based system, which would give everyone the screen that the Hawk T2 rear seater has. A fully dynamic display of what the aircraft you around are doing.

That's not going to happen until we all transmit gps data all the time, and the big problem is that where it is needed most, which is <3,000 feet is normally not transponder mandatory territory.

Maybe someday.
My spamcan syndicate has just fitted PilotAware Classic, which is doing most of that for that price.

I think that the next generation, forecast late this year - Rosetta and Aircrew are looking to do the whole hog for around £400.

AirCrew.co.uk

Rosetta - Pilot Aware

The biggest problems, in my opinion, are that we now have five gusting 7 different systems in use globally that aren't universally intercompatible, and at least two of them are using uncertified hardware, that creates a massive problem in fitting them into certified aircraft: whether military or civil.

Of course any electronic conspicuity system, so long as crews don't assume they'll see everything out there, is better than no conspicuity system.

G