PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA F/O faces Jail for reporting to work drunk
Old 7th Jun 2018, 11:15
cargosales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TowerDog
We never learn..
... (quote snipped)

Many moons ago as a junior FO, I did it, not much choice shutting down the operation due to “fatigue”.
Later as a Captain I would indeed shut it down, set the parking brake and ask the company to arrange for transport to the hotel. Some guys would get fired for doing that: Pressure is on: Fly until you drop, perfectly legal, all 3 seats in the cockpit filled by zombies. Legal as can be, but hang the guy who is fresh and rested, but has 0.03 % alcohol in the blood.
The irony..
I couldn't agree more about fatigue.

I was driving us home late one night after an airshow we'd been working at (and had absolutely no alcohol whatsoever plus ate sensibly), the long hours suddenly kicked in. And I couldn't stay awake / felt myself nodding off at the wheel. I pulled off at the next exit and turned off the engine. Mate next to me apparantly then woke up and asked where we were but I didn't answer ... because I was already asleep!!

When you're flying an aircraft you simply don't have the 'luxury' of being able to pull over at the next exit and take some time out.

These are scary times when airlines push the limits on crew hours. And equally when struggling with fatigue, why some people still report for duty when they are over the alcohol limit.

CS