PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 07:12
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tag, again....

Well, I do hope that we eventually find the “actual” tag that Keith Nurse removed from the Engine Mount Tubing because it could be as described in a letter I have.
If someone will inform me how to post a .pdf file I will post this letter.

This “notarised” letter was received from Bill Prymak in 2010. Bill was a noted researcher based in Denver Co.. When I first began corresponding with Bill he did not believe that the term “C/N” [for Construction Number} was a term used in the U.S. at aircraft manufacturing companies. He made enquiries and found that it was. It was probably, in “my” thinking, a hangover from the British use of the term and “exported” with British migrants or workers at American companies….

Bill Prymak knew a David Kenyon who worked at Lockheed in the 30’s and this is what Kenyon told Bill Prymak:

In the letter Bill states:
“He (Kenyon) stated to me that all engine mounts were fabricated by a foundry in L.A., shipped to Lockheed and stored with crated engines outside the assembly building. Each mount had a metal tag attached by wire, showing CN and hp rating. Since various engines were used in the Lockheed Electra assembly line, each required a different engine mount configuration, thus proper tagging was essential…”

Letter dated April 24th 2010 and Notarised.

As I see it, this is just as valid a reason as to why there was a metal tag hanging by wired from the mount on the detached engine as my explanation of a “Repair Tag” that we discussed weeks ago. The only thing missing in the above paragraph is the “S3H1”

As I said if someone will explain how to post a .pdf, I’ll post the letter.