PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Call your union/congressman about security checks
Old 25th Jan 2002, 05:00
Gunner B12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK

So I don't have to put up with it the way you do but I do know there is only one solution and it is in your hands. I to a certain extent had to make a similar decision in my current employment. I was given a job to fix a problem on a local air force base and rocked up at the entry with my ID in hand. Now said ID, due to the fact that I work for a government owned company, carried a government security number. The guard on duty ignored the fact that I was effectively cleared by the same people as him and demanded my personal details eg home address, before he would let me in.

Now we get to the point because like me you can just refuse. I was denied entry, they didn't get the problem fixed, a number of phone calls were made and lo and behold I was invited to come back the next day to fix it without the need to present anything more than my ID.

Now please don't give us the I can't do that line as if it is important enough to you to go on about it here, then it should be important enough to make your own stand on. I suggested you should try to encourage a team spirit to get round the problem but obviously being a pilot makes you more important than the team. Even if this is only window dressing someone believes it has a beneficial effect and contributes to you keeping your job. You should either put up or shut up.

By the way the terrorists only trained these pilots enough to do the job. They were one step ahead of security because nobody believed anyone would do this. Whose to say they aren't still one step ahead and have some guys completing the training and applying for jobs? Oh yes counter terrorist clearance, but as posted above not all countries whose aircraft fly in american airspace do that so we'll kill that argument before it comes up

I'm sorry if you don't like the views above and yes you can just say I don't know what I'm talking about. But even if you discount it because it's an outsiders view remember it's still the kind of view the SLF have.