PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perish the thought..
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 00:07
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
My interest stems from my 11 years of experience as an airline pilot, having been both a captain and first officer,” said study author Stuart D. H. Beveridge of the University of New South Wales.
First Officer and Captain of what? All the examples cited of where the Captain stands back and takes a strategic view involve operations that have more than 2 people. In addition the work space is much bigger than a cockpit. If the manufacturers want to build airliners with a flight deck the size of the USS Enterprise or the Pacific Princess then I am all for it.

Some of the reasons airlines keep first officers away from flying don’t make much sense, he added.“One of the more common criticisms of the captain delegating the flying I have heard have been: ‘In our airline we have really inexperienced first officers, we can’t be giving them the controls.’ This just raises two more concerning questions: why do we have a pilot in the flight deck that by admission is not able to do the most basic function of the job which is flight path management?” Beveridge said.
My bolding but once again what airline did the author of the report work for. Has he not heard of the cadet system where 250 hour pilots are operating in the right hand seat? In an emergency the inexperienced F/O does not have the spare capacity to do the flying and respond to the checklist item. So now the Captain has to deal with the emergency and monitor the F/O. It also depends on the individual F/O and Captain. When I was an F/O I remember one exercise where I was the PF in a complex exercise and managing upwards and on other occasions I have been more than happy as a Captain to make the F/O the P/F while I manage the situation before the approach is commenced. The teamwork required in a two crew operation is a lot more dynamic than the HF and psych experts realise. The Captain is the one with the experience (as a generalization) and authority to decide how a situation will be handled.