PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2018, 23:55
Scardy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may,
Having instructed new pilots to gain a CPL license i always commented to the TC office that the hood time was ludicrous!
With 30 plus years behind me and after 12 VFR and 18 plus IFR I quiver when I read about Indaverent IMC. Brrrr
Been in the sh×t a couple times at night over the chuk (same as IMC) when someting went sideways with the AP. Fortunately some hard leatned lessons and a good guy next to me we kept it together and calm.
The chances are not slim to none if you survive inadvertent ... there is no chance. Before you hit something hard the airframe is probably go to tear itself to pieces anyway ..... stress from your overcontrolling (stop to stop quickly).
I had a IR rating for many years before actually "using it" in a controlled two crew enviroment. During a long haul over water flight i pushed it a little to far and ALMOST got stuck between layers.... by gods grace when i looked over my shoulder i saw horizon. Scard - you have no idea - i was driving a IF equip ac but it had no stab. I surived for one reason....luck!
i have lost to many friends to whiteout over ice and snow when they were not actually IMC do to the fact they may have forgotten how too scan. Two were students of mine. I live with that.
just a sidenote... before the aircraft comes apart you will more then likely have come apart yourself shock caused by fear, muscle constrintion and irrational thought process will get you!
short story.... go IMC with no training... you have 32 seconds to say goodbye!