PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible near mid-air - finding out details...
Old 6th Jun 2018, 19:55
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, never. Now that I am unqualified to fly solo being over 85 years old, I fly now with a safety pilot...usually an instructor and I trust he or she is carrying two pair of spectacles within easy reach. Anyhow, we had at least two pairs of specs between the two of us today, at Shenington.

Very few good thermals this afternoon, after a winch launch my flight lasted about ten minutes. When Instructor Gail took over, on our second flight, she managed 45 minutes and the day had not yet bloomed. Wind North Northeast. I was keeping a good lookout for the couple of gliders scrabbling around nearby, and realised that near Upton House there was one lonely possible cumulous. Gail let me have control, I slid under the promising bit of cu, and sure enough! The best thermal of the day, six knots. Scraped to just under cloud base at 6,000'. Lovely. And then flew with Bruno, checked out on airtow, sitting up in the front of the Kl3 glider, as students are required to do. The Supercub tug pulled us up to about 2,000', and we could have stayed up the rest of the day!