PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre 2012 UAS flying hours
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2018, 12:54
HaselFreda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre 2012 UAS flying hours

Hi,

While on a University Air Squadron / UAS (from 2004 to 2006) I flew 58:15 dual (as pupil) and 9:00 solo. All of these hours and sorties were with (or for solo, under the supervision of) RAF Qualified Flying Instructors and were logged and signed for by the CFI, in the RAF FORM 414 (UAS) Log Book. I completed the whole Elementary Flying Training (EFT) course bar the formation flying and Final Handling Test (the EFT course was abruptly cut from UAS flying at the time).

I didn't end up applying to the RAF and I didn't have the funds to carry on flying privately.

A couple of weeks ago (almost twelve years after my last flight), I decided I want to start flying again and get a private pilots licence.

Having done some research, I now understand the following:
  • it is difficult to get credit for training carried out pre- September 2012 towards a Part-FCL PPL(A)
  • formal flying training at a UAS (such as mine) shall receive full accreditation towards a NPPL(A) (SSEA)
  • NPPL(A) (SSEA) licences issued after to April 2018 may not be converted into a Part-FCL LAPL(A) / Part-FCL PPL(A)
  • NPPL(A) (SSEA) can only fly EASA Aircraft until April 2019, after which time will essentially be useless (can only fly Annex II Aircraft)
Can anyone advise how I might get (some) credit towards a useful private pilots licence for the nearly 70 hours previously flown?

After speaking to a Royal Air Force Flying Clubs Association (RAFFCA) flying club, I have emailed the CAA requesting a custom "credit report" for credit towards issuing Part-FCL licences as described in the Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011, Article 9 (Credit for training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation):

Article 9
Credit for training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation
1. In respect of issuing Part-FCL licences in accordance with Annex I, training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation in accordance with the Joint Aviation Authorities requirements and procedures, under the regulatory oversight of a Member State recommended for mutual recognition within the Joint Aviation Authorities’ system in relation to the relevant JAR, shall be given full credit provided that the training and testing were completed by 8 April 2016 at the latest.
2. Training commenced prior to the application of this Regulation in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention shall be given credit for the purposes of issuing Part-FCL licences on the basis of a credit report established by the Member State in consultation with the Agency.
3. The credit report shall describe the scope of the training, indicate for which requirements of Part-FCL licences credit is given and, if applicable, which requirements applicants need to comply with in order to be issued with Part-FCL licences. It shall include copies of all documents necessary to demonstrate the scope of the training and of the national regulations and procedures in accordance with which the training was commenced.
Does anyone know if I am likely to be successful, or if I have misunderstood the regulations, or if the above Article 9 is out of date? I will of course wait for a reply from the CAA, but based on their automated email reply, I could be waiting some time as it is likely to get referred to their Technical Staff. I would like to know where I stand so I can take advantage of the weather and daylight during the summer months, if I am in deed likely to get some credit for previous flying experience.

Any help or advice would appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by HaselFreda; 7th Jun 2018 at 16:33.