PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Call your union/congressman about security checks
Old 25th Jan 2002, 04:04
Tripower455

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]I have a security responsibilty within a UK airline and also I am a line pilot.<hr></blockquote>

Every pilot has a security responsibilities, but doesn't have the tools to carry them out.

. . [quote] Luckily I know that the Neanderthal mind set of those above is not typical of the majority of US pilots. <hr></blockquote>

Since I work with nothing but US pilots, I can say without hesitation, that the opinions echoed in the above posts are exactly how most of them feel. Your opinions are in the minority.

[quote]However the isolationist and arrogant "it will never happen to us" attitude of ALL in the US aviation industry allowed the US airport security to lapse to the state that it was in pre Sep 11. <hr></blockquote>

I guess that we are still "arrogant" and think that it can't happen again, because NOTHING has changed to prevent it!

[quote]Sadly the situation has barely improved despite lots of meaningless armed presence - nor will it whilst the people like those above refuse to comply "to get respect". <hr></blockquote>

You are correct in saying that the situation has barely improved. The only hope that we have right now is the intervention of the passengers.

[quote]It is obvious they also have been some very selective recall of things in the past<hr></blockquote>

Yes it is.

-------------------------------------------. .How many of them were employees of the carriers involved or any carrier for that matter? . .----------------------------------------

[quote]They didn't have to be! They did it quite well as it was but some had clocked up enough trips within the US to become Frequent Fliers<hr></blockquote>

EXACTLY!

[quote]Incidentally, how many Lufthansa uniforms were found discarded by the terrorists in Boston afterwards? They had certainly intended to imitate a crew.<hr></blockquote>

They were smart enough to realize that they could not pass themselves off as German AIRLINE pilots. Their plan was much simpler.

-----------------------------------

The fact remains that NO US airline pilot has ever hijacked himself or another aircraft, despite the availability of weapons such as nail clipper files, tweezers and the crash axe! . .-----------------------------

[quote]Remember the FEDEX incident or the South West 146?<hr></blockquote>

The Fed Ex guy used a hammer and a speargun (!) to perpetrate his takeover attempt. I'd venture to say that even if he didn't have these things, then the crash axe in the cockpit would have been just as, if not more effective than his choice of weaponry.

I am not familiar with any Southwest pilots attempting to hijack their own planes......

[quote]Remember that all the Sep 11 flights were internal domstic flights - chosen for the lax security applied to those flights<hr></blockquote>

Once again, they were P-A-S-S-E-N-G-E-R-S, not pilots.

---------------------------------------. .There is a big difference between having a pilot's license and being an airline pilot.. .--------------------------------------

[quote]Is there - security-wise? Do we rate the security status of a pilot on the quality of his licence?<hr></blockquote>

You don't just walk off the street and become an airline pilot (unlike the trusted ramp personel who are not subject to this nonsense). I am sure that, especially in the UK, that airline pilots are screened pretty seriously prior to being hired. They are in the states. THAT is the difference between a passenger that happens to have a pilot's license and an airline pilot.

[quote]If you object to being screened, do you think that there should be a separate check for 'foreign' aircrew? They too fly within close proximity of your buildings.<hr></blockquote>

My opinion is that in this day and age, there are ways to positively ID personel. As I said, you either trust me or you don't. If you trust ME with hundreds of lives, then there should be no question at the checkpoint. Whether or not I am carrying nothing or an MP-5 does not make any difference. I CAN STILL FLY THE AIRCRAFT INTO A BUILDING, making all of the harassment moot.

[quote]You may not be aware that the British licence comes without a counter-terrorism check (CTC) - just like yours does! In fact no British aviation ID includes a CTC EXCEPT those worn by people who work in security and the very people that you slag off. THEY HAVE TO HAVE CTC CLEARANCE <hr></blockquote>

Actually, when Mr. Terrorist interrupts your tea time, you have just gotten CTC by default! The Mc Donalds rejects that are employed as "security" in the states have NO counter terr. training, certification or anyting remotely resembling it whatsoever. They are taught to make it LOOK good........

[quote]We are all trying to ensure that there are no more incidents of any kind. The shoe bomber incident SHOULD have reminded people that the threat is still out there.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, when you refer to "we", do not include any of the US government aviation burocracies....They are not interested in actually increasing the level of security. Just the appearance of it!

[quote] I, for one, will happily be subjected to whatever screening may be required to acheive that!<hr></blockquote>

So will I....When it happens? Feeling up crewmembers will not achieve this.

[quote]Safe flying!<hr></blockquote>

Do we have a choice?

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Tripower455 ]</p>