PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of life USA/EU (Easyjet/BA/Ryanair)
Old 5th Jun 2018, 18:12
neilki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Great Nations....

Interesting discussion. I'l add a bit if I may.

I have lived in both London & New York for several years, Currently a CA in the CRJ 9 at a large wholly owned US regional.

Cost of living: While the US is cheaper for goods, services can be much more expensive.

Europeans generally only see Federal US tax rates. We also pay State and local income taxes, sales & property taxes. These are significant. -tax is NOT included in the published cost of goods, as VAT is in the EU.

Don’t forget to tip 20% when you go out. Dinner, drinks, parking et al.

My direct taxation takes ~45% of gross income. Indirect taxes another 20% or so.

Healthcare is expensive, and only somewhat subsidized by your employer. Vacations are paltry compared to the EU, and time off is 'Earned' and used (or not!) the following year.

US Regionals exist because of.a 'Scope Clause" in major airlines Pilot contracts. We fly the same routes as the majors do, in the same uniforms and same paint on the plane.

US ULCCs are really upping their game. The US does not have a consistent history of low cost carriers, so to a large extent they're just starting out. Sprits new Contract and JetBlues' TA put a narrow body airbus CA on par with the majors. Southwest has a $500k club.

In order to be interviewed a US major or legacy you need a 4 year degree. Prestige Aviation colleges here quote $250k for tuition. You have to fund that, as well as live for 4 years.
The people getting hired right at mainline now have Masters Degrees ...!
Converting EASA to FAA is a cakewalk. The other way around isn't.

Employee travel benefits for the US carriers are very good indeed.

To have the choice is paradoxically difficult…