PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fuel heat on B747-200
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2018, 10:13
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, flew the magnificent CF6 on the 300 series and later as a Cpt on the -400 for 17 yrs. In all I must have flown over 22 yrs powered by CF6. I NEVER had an engine failure! (Imagine the cost reduction I could have generated without all of my N-1/-2-3-4 training ). It swallowed ice, hail, rain and birds without problem and took maxed out cold fuel.
It ran even w/o electric fuel pumps, tested that as I flew a few years as technical pilot, during flights after heavy maintenance which needed inflight shutdown testing and restart. So at one occasion, just for the heck of it, we left the throttle in cruise with pumps off (engine kept running normally) and put the start lever in off. After the compulsory 3 mins wait we just added fuel again and ignition. It lit up and went to idle where it hesitated a moment and went gently to the cruise power selected. still with pumps off. It was an almost boring event.
Great engine and a great plane. Both never let me down or bit me and I got to my retirement incident free, which after 10 years still gives a fantastic feeling. Sorry to see them slowly being decommissioned and move to the frying pan factories.