PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What about Tengah?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 13:10
Fitter2

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Just like Null Orifice (Post #2 in the thread) I was posted to 60/64 Sqdn. Kuching detachment in May '64 never having played with Javelins, so was sent to Tengah or a month in June for familiarisation training. Accomodated in the 'Stables' convenient for the swimming pool and JC's curry stall. Frequent Mercedes taxi races to town and back. One day was advised by a local to get back to base as there was trouble - apparently a Chinese resident had thrown something at a Mohammed's Birthday parade and it escalated. We were confined to base until it died down, and as part of the preparations for further trouble found myself issued with one end of a banner reading 'If you pass this point you will be shot' in multiple languages. Requests for information om my personal status if they passed that point did not elicit an encouraging answer. In the event, after a few days normal Bugis Street sorties were resumed.

While at Kuching we could take 2 weeks leave either locally (transport to/from Changi available) or save it for return to UK. As a singly, local was welcome; I set of on a leisurely trip up the peninsula to Penang via Malacca, KL and Ipoh, intending to visit a few other places during the second week; arriving at the Sandycroft NAAFI Holiday Centre outside Georgetown started a 6 day stay there - too much opportunity for tourism and mischief.

Commuting Singapore/Sarawak on RNZAF Bristol Freighter or Beverley wasn't luxury air travel, but got you there. Happy days.