PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 12:52
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
TC....if you had added "and then you run into a patch of dense fog and black ice...." to your analogy....it would be spot on!

For those who have never entered IMC, it is the rough equivalent of driving along a B road over the moors on a moonless night and at a reasonable speed (say 50 -60mph), with little or no ambient light and then your headlights lights go out and your brakes don't work.
{This is the closest analogy I can offer to a helo pilot who doesn't have a parallel experience to fall back on}

Gullibell.....I would accuse you of being an Accessory to Murder should it be determined a Dead Pilot used your advice on IIMC in a Helicopter without an Attitude Indicator as an excuse to find himself involved in an IIMC event.

Technically, perhaps you are correct but the reality is the odds of a newbie having the remotest chance of succeeding in that method is so remote as to be laughable you even suggest it here.

What you need to do is embrace the basic advice being given by the Old Pelicans...."If encountering weather below take off minimums....LAND!".

That one singular method absolutely guarantees survival by preventing an IIMC Event.

Your suggested method is the very last method I would endorse....as without an Attitude Indicator most pilots...even experienced pilots are not going to be able to control the Helicopter.

Example for you.

When assessing a Trainee's Instrument flying ability in the Bell 212/412 and S-76 Simulators, I used to carry out Unusual Attitude Recovery sessions on the first flight to determine what kind of Instrument Scan and Interpretation the Pilot had.

I did that by introducing the session in the same old tired way.... I will drive...you put your head down and shut your eyes...at some point I shall return the Control of the aircraft to you....you acknowledge you have the controls and return us to normal level flight.

Immediately upon the Pilot putting his Head down and closing his eyes....I would set his Attitude Indicator Five Degrees Wing Low to one side or the other.

Then, after a minute of Whoopsie Doodles....I would give him the Controls with the aircraft in a minor nose low or high-wing low attitude, yaw out of trim, and an altered power setting from cruise setting.

How many Pilots you reckon sorted out that their Attitude Indicator was giving bogus info....even in aircraft with Three Attitude Indicators to look at and compare?

A great many...way too many....never figured it out.

So you think not even having an AI...folks in IIMC are going to be able to fly an unstablized helicopter.

Your Bearing Pointer thing.....isn't that called a Mag Compass?

I am thinking your two experiences at this came in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere.