PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle-2
Thread: Carlisle-2
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 12:46
General_Kirby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What planet are they living on? Train Air Traffic controllers at Carlisle? Does anyone there have any idea of the time, skills, money needed to set up as an approved EASA/CAA ATC training facility.
Secondly, what gives them the confidence for the 3rd Sept? They need more controllers and they need to be approach procedural qualified. The standard approach course these days at NATS doesn't even train proper approach procedural. If they are intending on sending their controllers on courses then good luck with that as well. NATS have no capacity, neither do Global ATS, they are busy mopping up NATS lack of training capacity.
If there is a pool of Aerodrome/Approach Procedural qualified ATCOs looking for a job, I am sure they'd look slightly further afield to airfields that pay significantly more, North, East and South of Carlisle. Even Doncaster is having regular closures of ATC due lack of staff. Liverpool have a massive shortage. I'm not convinced this problem can be solved in 3 months. I really really hope someone has a solid plan and it works out. I do think it's a fantastic opportunity for the area and wish it every success.