PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 11:36
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel

Wow, this old chestnut has popped up again.
The feedback I'm getting though, is that us crusty old timers need to impart some of our wisdom, surely - if we are to make any impression on those up and coming helo pilots on here, who read all of this 'stuff'' but are afraid to chip in for fear of being mocked.
So , if I may, I would like to pass on my advice regarding a relatively common killer when flying helos - IIMC.
There's those who have been there and lived and there are those who have never experienced IIMC.
I am appealing to the latter (because the former have had that experience indelibly ingrained on their brain forever)

For those (NON IR or NON IMC rated pilots out there):

You must be wondering why all this scaremongering when it comes to flying into a little bit of water vapour, yes?
When you lose all external references in a helo, you have to employ a very different skill set. If this skill set has not been shown to you, or the skill set has not been practiced often, then you will not be capable of flying a helicopter in IMC with your existing (VFR) skill set for long because the two (VFR skill set and IMC flight) are incompatible.
For those who have never entered IMC, it is the rough equivalent of driving along a B road over the moors on a moonless night and at a reasonable speed (say 50 -60mph), with little or no ambient light and then your headlights lights go out and your brakes don't work.
{This is the closest analogy I can offer to a helo pilot who doesn't have a parallel experience to fall back on}

So: "assuming I have committed the cardinal sin by entering IIMC" what must I do to save my life (essentially)?
This is the difficult bit, because it might sound relatively straight forward but it is more than a technical guide, your emotions come into play and occasionally they can get the better of you. So you have to FOCUS like you've never focussed before. Physically and mentally. Do not let 'fear' control the helo.

The MAIN AI is your lifeline.
1. Wings level.(As soon and as smoothly as possible).
2. Nose on the horizon.
3. Select 2 to 3 degrees nose up.
4. Select best rate of climb speed for your helo.
5. Regain your composure.
6. Select 10 -15 degrees angle of bank (NO MORE). Attempt a 180 degree turn IF safe to do so (in an attempt to fly back into airspace which presumably might be more conducive to VFR).
7. IF you gain visual then recover visually to land or RTB. If you are still IMC - climb to your MSA for that area.
8. When safe to do so, communicate with anyone (local ATC / Drayton centre, anyone) - and ask for help. IE: Pan Pan x 3.

NOTES:
Use the HUB technique when flying on instruments: Starting with the main AI move out to other instruments but always come back to the main AI:
(a) Main AI (for say 5 seconds) - (wings level, ball in the middle).
Scan briefly out to
(b) ASI (for say 1-2 seconds) - (speed NEVER EVER below 60kts) 60-90 ideal.
Scan back to Main AI (for 5 seconds).
(c ) ALT (for 1 - 2 seconds) - Ensure you are still climbing or have achieved your MSA.
(d) VSI (for 1-2 seconds) - Check level or climbing if needed at best angle of climb
REPEAT THIS HUB SCAN WHILST IIMC

You will soon develop a slick and repetitive hub (or wheel) scan starting and ending at the MAIN AI.
ALL control movements must be smooth and gentle. NO excess demands in RoC or Speed.
Speeds below Vmin will cause disorientation as first the ball will slip and then height and speed will deteriorate.
Fly the dot (which is your aircraft) on the main AI bang on the horizon bar or very very slgihtly above the wings level position if you wish to climb.
DOT ON THE HORIZON. DOT ON THE HORIZON. DOT ON THE HORIZON. DOT ON THE HORIZON.
Don't let panic overcome you.

It sounds dramatic - it IS.
AND remember, you are in a helicopter, you can land anywhere at anytime BEFORE you go IIMC. You will never ever be ridiculed or break any rules if you LAND if this is the safest option. Your passengers (if accompanied) or your family (if solo) will be eternally grateful that they have met someone who knows their limits.

Final warning - very very few Non IMC rated or Non IR pilots will survive IIMC - it is almost certainly the death penalty. For those who retain their composure, there is a slither of luck that they might survive the ordeal to fly another day.
AT ALL COSTS - DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN A POSITION WHERE YOU WILL INEVITABLY GO IIMC.

If just one newbie / ab initio / ppl(h)VFR pilot lives because they have heeded this posting - my entire 30 years of flying helos will have been worth it.
TC