PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Intructor kidnapped student
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 23:49
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunamer

A nonimmigrant visa cant be extended... it is a document that allowes you to enter the country and it only can be issued OUTSIDE of the USA . Stay is determined by other documents, issued by an accredited US school. It is the stay period that can be extended by filing a petition (while within the US).
Well, then the rules have changed since 2004. My bro-in-law came over on a student visa for a course of study in one field at one institution(I will not name either). He quit that course of study, went in a completely different direction, and began attending a completely different advanced and accredited university. I went with him to the Immigration office in downtown LA(twice, two long, full days) and he was re-issued a student visa right there on the spot. We had to take a lot of paperwork, and get a letter from the chair of the dept at the new school, and the Immigration people were just fine stamping him to continue. If it's different now, I guess I will defer to others with more recent experience. Can you share your more recent experience?