PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing
Thread: Landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:17
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blimey Ironbutts, see what you started ? Highly professional & skilled aviator himself decides to share a nice experience on a forum, ostensibly for professional pilots, but falls fowl of the 'Yah..boo....sucks....' jealous brigade . Bit of a mixed bag of comments followed, mostly light-hearted. But, dear oh dear, the underline of some posters makes for dismal reading and suggests that you are a boring lot to share a flight-deck with. IB, keep up the readiness to congratulate a fellow professional on a job admirably done. I always did too but was , once , told by the Fleet Office that I was the only one who bothered. Moreover, following a very well handled entire leg by a FO coming up for Command, I wrote up a report admiring :the job well done, oh, and, including the absolute g r e a s e r that , predictably ensued. FO told me later that he was welcomed into the briefing room for the very critical, pre-command six-monthly with the words from the checker ; " Ah, according to some, you are the Ace of the Base ! Let's see how good you are..". Oh dear.

Let's read more about greasers ! As an Ab initio cadet, I was told that it was an absolute greaser (grass airfield) if you could feel the grass slapping against the tyres during the hold off.

Ok miseries, Out with the FCOM etc and see if we can shoot down the term "hold-off" . Industry sounds alarmingly staid. Glad I had the best..

I should pre-empt the predictable shoot out from the boring by saying, yes, I know, we don't hold off . No grass to slap against the wheels. Holding off & losing miles of useful concrete behind............gosh, had to get it in first.