PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 07:14
uberoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand

Originally Posted by wuas680
I attended Aviation Vision Services yesterday (BTW also travelled from Newcastle. Drove down, stayed overnight round the corner at Heathrow Lodge and drove back after test).

I scored 14.86 Red Green so over threshold of 12 and 0.50 Yellow Blue (apparently very good colour vision in that area). Anyway the red green meant a fail and I was handed a piece of paper with the text "Fit restricted EASA Class 1 (VCL, SSL-ILA, SSL-NCAT) and Class 2 (VCL).

So basically day time flying only and NCAT. Now NCAT is a bit of a sod. I don't want to be an airline pilot but there isn't an exhaustive list of what is commercial air transport and what isn't. Nor is there much detail on where I can fly. I think I can ferry G- reg planes within Europe. Annoyingly I had a few places where I knew they only do VFR flying - bush pilots in Africa for example - but that NCAT restriction would prevent that!

I am now wondering if I should find a FAA AME and see if they can do the other tests here in the UK and whichever one I get the better result in go for that.

Does anyone know of any countries where a colour fail just restricts to VFR but you can still carry cargo or passengers or both? I am yet to start full on training so I could look at training in the most forward thinking country for colour vision.
Take a look at New Zealand. They are the most progressive on this front. Australia used to be, but has gone backwards in recent years.