PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and go distance vs. landing/takeoff distance
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 15:17
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience touch and go manoeuvres are generalyy under performed and not practised enough by qualified pilots. Therefore when eventually they do one it comes as a bit of a shock to the system. Similar to go arounds where the vast majority of pilots make a pigs ear of it. IMO a short grass strip, with obstacles at either end, is fine if experienced,, current and flying a Cub, or similar, where you understand the aeroplane, its capability in line with POH, and can be pulled up in a dime if it all goes wrong. There are a number of accidents in the go around/Touch and Go regime every year where evidently pilots did not understand the operational limits and capability's of their machines. I would prefer to go and practice on a large open runway, understand the performance parameters and introduce the shorter fields when really confident. Forgive me if you are at this stage, but please do not underestimate the manoeuvre.