PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Questions regarding DH concept for CAT I/II/III Ops
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 14:00
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM: thank you. Surely roll out is a eyes out manoeuvre even if there is 'supposedly' LLZ tracking. You know the LDA, you know LDR and the latter is less than former by a margin. You know you touched down in the Red barrettes, so you should know you've long enough tarmac to stop and the trusty auto brakes are set accordingly. All your size twelves have to do is sync with your eyes and the 15m centreline lights. If you see the Red/Whites and the speed is still speedy it is time to engage said size twelves in secondary mode.

Pulser: to clarify something. There is autopilot approach & manual land: there is manual approach & manual land: there is autopilot approach & automatic landing. There are CAT 1, Cat 2, Cat 3 operations. These are determined by the weather. ATC will introduce certain procedures for each and the operator will determine the type of approach performed considering the weather conditions in force. Different a/c have different capabilities. There are some that could perform CAT 2 ops in manual mode. There are/were some where the AFDS system was certified CAT 3B manual flight; but most operators didn't allow that and insisted on autoland.

You can auto land, under certain caveats, on a CAT 1 (category) ILS.