PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Call your union/congressman about security checks
Old 25th Jan 2002, 00:36
Tripower455

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]All people boarding an aircraft, and I include crew,should be subject to screening procedures.<hr></blockquote>

The flight crew can walk through buck naked and STILL fly their aircraft into a building if they so choose. Either you trust us or you don't.

. . [quote] No pilot should take for granted the security procedures put in place, don't forget, they are for your protection too. <hr></blockquote>

It is hard not to take it for granted because we "take" it every time we show up for work.

All of the "security" crack downs that have occurred since 9/11 have not, in any way, made me safer, nor would they prevent 9/11 from happening again. The only thing we have going for us is the passengers. God help us if there are only 15-20 aboard, and 10 of them are hijackers. Then the only hope is the future new hire in the fighter. Is he there for MY safety as well? There is still no credible defense for the aircraft between the genius' working the "security" checkpoints and the guy in the F'Teen. The one thing that the powers that be could have done to definitively prevent this from reoccuring, would have been to arm airline pilots. Everything else is hoping for the best. If a terrorist gets past the gauntlet of "security" screening, and his buddy, the provisioner has hidden a weapon in the lav, the only hope, once again, is the future co-pilot in the F-Teen.

If I thought for one minute that my passengers and crew were any safer by me getting groped by a felon, then I'd have no problem with it.

The fact is that we are screened as eyewash, to project the PERCEPTION of safety (Gee, if even the pilots are screened we MUST be safe!).

If actual security was the real issue, then why are pilots and flight attendants the ONLY employee groups that MUST be screened? Tell me what's protecting me from the ramper with a bomb? This issue is as absurd as random drug/alcohol testing AFTER we've flown....If rampant drug/alcohol use was actually a problem, wouldn't it benefit safety to test us BEFORE we fly?

After being cavity searched and having all of my "weapons" removed from my bag, the fact remains that I can still fly the aircraft into a building.......

[quote]Pilots and crew should take responsibility for setting a good example to their passengers. <hr></blockquote>

And being party to perpetuating the security myth. Honestly, what is the purpose of screening flight crews in the first place? I was screened when I got hired. If I am a security risk, then why am I allowed to fly the aircraft?

. . [quote]And how well do you know that new member of crew that started last week? Don't forget, the hijackers on those aircraft on Sept. 11th caried pilots licences.<hr></blockquote>

How many of them were employees of the carriers involved or any carrier for that matter? The fact remains that NO US airline pilot has ever hijacked himself or another aircraft, despite the availability of weapons such as nail clipper files, tweezers and the crash axe! There is a big difference between having a pilot's license and being an airline pilot.