PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 01:04
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indamiddle
Has QF ever offered vr to pilots?

Yes. In 2014 with the retirement of the 767 there were VRs offered to both 767 pilots as well as 744 Captains (and maybe F/Os too? Can't remember precisely).

would QF offer vr in the current shortage?
Probably not. I don't discount the possibility of targeted VR. EG they may look at a 62-63 year old 744 driver, know they'll only get 18 months out of them once they're checked to line on the 787 or A380 and decide to offer that pilot a VR to go rather than double train. It'd need some precise numbers on the cost of the training course, the cost to pay the pilot whilst they're on said training course, etc.

how would this effect/affect 457 situation?
The 457s being requested are not for mainline. They're for Dash 8 TRIs and TREs. I've no expertise in the area but in my uninformed option I wouldn't expect it'd have any significant impact.

would QF give a rats arse if a rinned skipper quits during or shortly after retraining?
Yes... especially during training. It's a massive pain in terms of paired training for sims and so on. The vacancy then needs to be filled and that will also be an unpaired course.

what difference would a $200,000 vr make? Why not fly another 18 months?
Tax rates for VR are much better. A pilot who is 62 and wasn't fussed if they went to 65 or not may decide that with their accrued LSL, AL (if they have any left during the decreased flying on the fleet), may decide to take the extra year's pay and not put themselves through the type course change and of course the additional fun of increased LH flying on the 787.

Not saying it will happen or even if it's likely. I just reckon it's an unexplored option.