PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good arguments for modifying procedures from operating manual
Old 1st Jun 2018, 13:27
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have what we term “flows.” A flow is the recommended method for accomplishing a procedure. For example the FO has a flow to accomplish his preflight procedure. The flow is the most efficient method to accomplish the procedure however the flow order is suggested.

Am I going to hammer the FO for not following the flow - no. If we, however, get to a checklist item, (ie altimeter setting) and his setting is incorrect that tells me that his flow is incomplete and then we will discuss why the flows are the most effecient and effective method for ensuring that a procedure is properly completed.

Do we have SOP I disagree with, of course. Have I tried to change that SOP, of course. Have I been successful, very, very rarely. Do I comply with company SOP to the best of my ability on every flight, of course. There are a hell of a lot of people smarter than me telling me this is the way we should do it, and there are to many smoking holes world wide because some pilots think they are smarter than all those people.