PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2018, 10:50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught never to enter the crap. But if I did I would be going slow and low enough to get back out of it in a slow, shallow decent.
Precisely the reason why some helicopter pilots can be so dangerous.

People think they can tool along in a helicopter in weather that is marginal. ‘Knowing’ that without adequate instrument skills and equipment, they can just go down and slow down to remain out of cloud. ‘Hoping’ that the weather will miraculously improve!

I have absolutely no idea what happened in the accident being discussed here, but anyone thinking they can follow chopjock’s advice. Please. Please. Please don’t. The moment the weather gets remotely marginal. Just find somewhere safe, put the thing on the deck, and shut down.

The only other safe alternative, if you have the equipment on board AND a suitable icing clearance, and the recent skills, is to climb to MSA, and fly an instrument recovery to a suitable airfield. Oh, and if you have any idea you may have to resort to this method, you really should include it in your pre-flight planning. MSAs, radio frequencies, (or guard!) fuel for diversion to a second alternate, and suitable approach minima. Very few private helicopter/pilot combos will have this option. If that’s the case, just put it on the deck, and walk away!

Take either of those two options, or you are simply an accident waiting to happen.