PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - degree in ac maintenance engineering
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 21:45
eng123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krystal,
Did you pass your licence then?
Assuming you did then it's true that you are probably in a better position to compare the difficulties of gaining one or the other.I have never had the desire to get a degree as I enjoy what I do and can probably earn more doing so.You must also remember that it isn't just passing an exam to get the basic licence,it's also all the years of learning and perfecting your skills on the job.
This normally involves a four year apprenticeship with day release study at college.Once you have completed that then you have a period of working under and learning from licenced engineers.That process can easily take as long and as much effort as anyone spending afew years at university.Sure,it's a different sort of learning but I would put it to you that it requires the same amount of effort.Then,once you have your basic licence,you need to undergo specific type training,then carry out enough work on the type to be able to submit worksheets to the required standard to enable you to sit and pass a board by the quality department.Once you have successfully done all this you are in the position to certify your first aircraft.Hardly what you would call a vocational qualification.
You keep banging on that the licence is there 'just to satisfy the legislation'.What reason do you think there is that need? Are you suggesting it would be alright to have anyone just turning up and certifying the maintenance work on your aircraft before you board to go away on holiday? Of course not.
Oh,by the way.I'm still waiting for you to tell me what a 'Luddite' is.