PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good arguments for modifying procedures from operating manual
Old 31st May 2018, 06:46
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stilton
I must be missing something
how did you start an engine with the fuel off ?

Stilton,
I don't think Megan has much experience in the field.

Re. the BA B747 mentioned that continued to UK on three, the crew might have offended the sensibilities of armchair critics, but the crew committed no breaches of operating regulations, everything the Captain did was within his command prerogatives.

Under the same circumstances I would have done the same thing, I have done something very similar on the same type.

As to VH-OJH, QF 1 at Bangkok, that was a screw-up by the Captain, the reports covered many dead trees, mostly written by people of limited or no actual experience, but the underlying cause had nothing to do with an "unapproved procedure" , because that implies he followed a formal "procedure", to the end of his days, that pilot will never be able to explain, even to himself, the "why" of what happened. I knew him well, "uncharacteristic action " doesn't even come close.

Tootle pip!!
As for the "engine starting?

PS: Operating procedures and checklists are part of the aircraft certification, and all major manufacturers have procedures for customers to request changes. If such requested changes are accepted by the Type Certificate holder and relevant certifying authority (FAA etc) this ensures that the C.of A remains valid. To operate an aircraft in violation of the terms of the C.of A. brings with it all sorts of legal complications -- as well as operational pitfalls.
I am amazed at how little this is understood, particularly by personnel of aviation safety authorities of some smaller countries, who believe that they have the "authority" to dictate changes at their whim.

Last edited by LeadSled; 31st May 2018 at 07:00. Reason: PS added.