PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans To Be 'Formally Recognised With Official ID Cards'
Old 31st May 2018, 06:30
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
Seconded that gibbo568. As far as I'm concerned unlike a lot of people who came before and after me I had an enjoyable 12 years during which I saw the world, got reasonably well paid, did some fun things at HM's expense, and suffered nothing worse than a bad case of self inflicted sunburn in Aden. Different story for people like my dad who didnt see his wife and kids from 1942 to 1946, or others who came home from Afghanistan or Iraq etc minus various bits of themselves. I dont want any special treatment, I dont want anyone "thanking me for my service" and I wont be applying for a "veterans card". I could also give the example of Mrs TTN who came out of the QARANC as a nursing sister and immediately took a 50% drop in pay when she got a job as a civvy nurse, and right up till she retired 10 years ago never really got a decent salary. Under this system she could qualify for discounts etc on the basis of her military service but sod all for her many years as as NHS midwife.

I want nothing to do with it.
TTN

That is of course entirely your choice and that is the point of this scheme - it is not compulsory. However, there are many others that do not feel that way and are grateful for the fact that this will allow anyone who signed up to potentially put their life in danger and to bear arms (with many that actually have) will be valued by the State and parts of society for this sacrifice. I am not aware of NHS staff making the same sort of commitment that any Service Personnel make - to waive significant rights and volunteer to be in an area fighting for their country where their lives will be in danger. There is a distinct difference.

in a few years time if the country, it’s various commercial outlets and the various state-run services want to recognise that sacrifice of service then that is fine by me. One of the biggest drivers of people leaving the Services is that loss of feeling valued both in and out of of the mob. This goes a small way of rectifying that rift in my hummble opinion.

I will be gracious and grateful for anything I receive in return for my 30+ years of service.

LJ