PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum fuel - FAA vs. EASA
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2018, 05:20
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The simple answer is yes. The VFR fuel reg 91.151 even says no one "may begin a flight" without 30 minutes day/45 minutes night extra fuel. The airline rules 121.639 - 121.646 all say no one may dispatch/release an airplane or takeoff without the required fuel. Under the FAA system when it says no one may dispatch (or release depending on what rules you operate under) it means the company will not allow the flight to begin. 61.167, the general IFR fuel rule is a bit nebulous when it says "operate." Operate is defined in FAR 1 as "use, cause to use or authorize..." There are some FAA legal interpretations which say running out of fuel is "careless and reckless." I don't know if "Well dah" translates into norsk. I believe I also saw the thread the OP referenced which said the crew could be in trouble if the plane landed without incident with less than the required fuel reserves. That would not be the case in the FAA system. If a crew declared min fuel there might be some follow up to find out how the crew got in that situation but unless there were some serious preflight errors it would not rise to an enforcement action.