PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and go distance vs. landing/takeoff distance
Old 30th May 2018, 19:29
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short runway with a tall tree at the end? hmm. Even an experienced pilot might get in trouble, much better to STOP under control, and taxi back to the beginning.

In Texas, the runway was plenty long, except a couple of deer decided to canter across,,, Narrowly avoided the livestock, and couldn't blame the farmer.

And on my annual check ride, in my Supercub (used mainly for towing up gliders at Shenington in those days), the very experienced instructor as we turned back toward the airfield over Banbury, pulled back the power about half way, and said, now what are you going to do about that? Of course I was not permitted to increase power. However, as we gently descended on track, and the wind was not too strong, I did not even try to do a circuit. Just came carefully straight in downwind and landed. There was no other active traffic, so that worked quite nicely, and I was quite smug about surprising the instructor, who thought I would go for a standard into wind circuit and end up horribly low!