PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod vs C130 or B707
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 20:26
bluetail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIM9,s were definately not fitted to the Nimrod just for show, there is good video of one actually firing one as part of the trials. and we did so many a MISSILE LOADEX,s throughout the 80,s & 90,s it had to be serious.

The best bit about the MOD was the sight, definately Heath & Robinson inspired, but apparently it worked, Two bits of Clear Plastic with a Cross on one, line up the hole with the cross and bobs your uncle, and only fitted to one side (P1), with the Tone fed in through a redundant intercom circuit.

I doubt the Nimrod could keep behind a Herc because of its pretty decent STOL performance but I reckon it could sort out a 707 no problem.

I,ve been in the back of a Nimrod on more than one occasion when its done a bit of dissimilar against Tornado & F-16 and basically as long as its a reasonably slow tight turning affair it usually doesn't fair to badly particularly against a Tornado, F-16 not so good because of its agility. A bit false I know because either of these would just use a longer range weapon and just pick it off.

I reckon it would easily do a 707 but it would be nice to know if any of our Kipper Fleet breathren have been in the situation.