PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2018, 07:11
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me correct your last comment Popgun:
Pilot shortage... for all carriers in Oz.
... IF there wasn't one as you mentioned, then:
- Why have all the jet operators lowered their entry requirements to never before seen levels? This was expected although delayed some many months after other airlines outside "Kansas" noted the issues and acted. Denial that there actually was a problem, has wasted many months;
- Why is there all of a sudden a huge need to scramble together Cadet Flying Schools, of which they are struggling to source enough suitable Instructors for, as they've left for greener pastures/more coin;
- Why are so many aircraft parked on the ground throughout Australia and secondary tier "support" airlines are flat out log jammed, trying to find & train enough crew to fill in these "outsourced" routes:
- Why are there never before seen Adverts seeking pilots on AFAP; SEEK; FlightGlobal Jobs etc, many of them entry level employments.
I won't go on.
Just open your eyes around the airports of Australia and look at how much expensive hardware is sitting idle!
I'm sick of hearing excuses and buck-passing or stupid claims of compensation of the likes REX made last week.
The industry is sick. CASA is sick. Many airline managements are sick (in Aust & abroad)... and they are definitely NOT the ones to fix the problem!
Why aren't they? They have not foreseen the issues earlier and made plans accordingly. Australia is fortunate to have alot of lead time to "read the play ahead", as it were but they haven't. Instead, massive multi million dollar bonuses and fat share bonus increases have been the order of the day. Much like RATED DE has been banging on about for ages, the days of confrontational industrial negotiation with unlimited labour supply have gone. There's a massive shortfall of pilots entering the industry, in favour of more lucrative professions.

It's a beautiful aphorism JPJP mentions above, which I should comment on.
"Rising tide should lift all boats." - Sadly it's not in Australia, it's only lifting the super yachts The dingies (GA/Instructing/Regional Airlines/AG) are having trouble staying afloat!

Happy Landings

Last edited by Chocks Away; 30th May 2018 at 07:24.