PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas ...was it blackmail?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2018, 06:21
ebt

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
Part of the report in today paper says that a B747 freighter working for Qantas diverted to Canberra, and landed while a firefighting aeroplane was refueling, this was a safety hazard??
Where was the firebomber refueling ---- in the middle of a runway???
I trust a NOTAM has been issued, pending an amendment to ERSA, clearly stating that Canberra is no longer available as an alternate, as a diverting aircraft will create an air safety hazard.
I trust CASA will look into this major air safety issue immediately.
And, I can fully appreciate the reference to Somali pirates ---- the unscheduled movement was apparently charged well over $60,000, including a sum of $28,000 which appears to be a penalty fee for Canberra being used as an alternate.
Where is the ACCC.
Tootle pip!!
To give them their due, Canberra Airport's full statement explains it a lot more. Short and long of it is that they were running out of tarmac space, especially as the helitaks were operating from Fairbairn. Qantas ops weren't letting them know what to expect, and the airfield didn't have a specific arrangement in place, so they could be charged as per the rate card and on COD terms. Seems like two fairly arrogant companies squaring off against each other, with each taking the 'woe is me' approach.

But, to the fair, Qantas have been getting ballsy with bullying the airports of late, especially as only a couple of years ago they offloaded the leases on the terminals back to them.