PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2018, 23:17
SandyPalms

Received 93 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankengine

So now nobody can retire when they want to? What age are you going to retire, your plan or when the company decides they don’t want your aircraft?
Remember, they are going to get rid of the Jumbo, no option to stay on it for a planned year or two longer so if timing means doing a course and then retiring then that is what some will do.
The only effect on junior pilots is that of waiting for a slot based on seniority, ops normal.
On the other hand if VR caused anyone to leave early then junior pilots would benefit!
Thomas
No malice intended, but what you say is just a bit confusing.
You state that you want to retire when you want to. Fair enough, and I’d doubt that anybody is suggesting you shouldn’t have that choice. But previously you stated that you would go to the A380, then retire 6 months later just to “F#$k em”. I don’t know if that is when you turn 65 or not, you didn’t state that.
For reference, a LH pilot staying beyond 65 and moving to the 737 makes no difference to anybody who has command seniority, as you vacate a Widebody seat, that makes that available to them.
I would love them to offer you a VR as it’s gets you out of the system and helps everyone, but they won’t.

How many are there that can displace? And how close to retirement are you? Or the most senior A380 blokes? I feel they will train you to the A380, but they won’t displace. There will be enough forced retirements, or 737 bids from the A380 to just wear the over crewed situation until an equilibrium is reached.