PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Selecting flaps during turns
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2018, 20:43
B-757

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Double Back
It was a loooong time ago during my ab initio training that we were instructed not to increase a flapsetting during turns, as the plane could stall because of this. (old Saab Safir with good a old biceps powered flap lever.) The argument was it could stall because of this, and because we all were Young lads we never questioned it.
Remarkably (it was around 1975) nearly all of the then group of instructors were ex-mil jocks.
Later I completely forgot about this, it never came back during training in any of my +/- 100 types I have flown.
Till last week when i needed a checkout on a C172 because of a medical stop of one Year and I was checked by an ex mil pilot who remarked my occasional flap setting change during turns. (with normal circuit speeds...)

I answered a bit laughing that was old and obsolete theory, but I did not convince him.

Anyone recognize this and give me some powder I can shoot back? .
(btw I am at an extremely well relation with this chap, no worries!)

Richard
..All aircraft limitations can be found in the manuals..There is no such limitation in a C-172..
..This is a personal preference by your instructor..It may be a good technique (on some aircraft), but not a required procedure..

Fly safe,
B757