PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2018, 04:33
SandyPalms

Received 88 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJP

I’m curious Sandy. Generally (at various airlines) a displacement bid entitles the ‘displaced’ to a host of expensive options​​​​​​ - The right to take any seat that they can hold in seniority, moving allowances et. The domino effect below them (the people that they displace) is the same. Generally causing an expensive waterfall effect. As you said.

Under the Qantas long haul EBA, are they able to displace of a fleet (A380) in order to adjust the manning on another fleet (744) ?

Generally speaking you are correct. In QF there are some complexities as the displacing pilots must be "NAMED" in the Reduction in Numbers process, which is just as it sounds, their name must appear on the Flight Standing Order.
In this case, the 744/Capt will displace an A380/Capt. That A380/Capt will most likely bid for 787 (as the next 787 bid will most likely include a Sydney Base) which is a training course that must be done irrespective of the 744 RIN. So there you go, 2 courses and the RIN (in this one case) is finished. The domino effect you speak of in this case, doesn't happen.
The same can be said for the A330 as training is going at pace on that aircraft also, however there would be an extra course in that scenario, but thats only 3.
With a redundancy, that 787 course will be filled by an A330/Capt, which will be filled by a 737/Capt which will be filled by an A330/FO which will be filled by a 737/FO which will be....................... and so on. In my opinion, this RIN will save them money. The way I see it, they won't offer redundancy.