PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and go distance vs. landing/takeoff distance
Old 29th May 2018, 01:21
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by rnzoli
We touched down roughly at the intended distance from the threshold, but we had excess speed and bounced..
I added power, then it took precious seconds for the electric motor to move flaps from landing to takeoff position, and our initial cimb rate was half of what we usually get with takeoff flaps.
To play it safe, I had to manouver away from the obstacles ahead, as I wasn't 100% confident I would clear them in case of flying the normal runway heading.

Thanks for all insights.
At the risk of being rude this description really made me cringe. POH landing distance is meaningless unless the approach is flown on speed and with the correct flight path. It would have been obvious at 100 feet AGL on final that the aircraft was going to fast and high on the approach path. The “touch” part of this touch and go was not going to work and the go part should have been been immediately carried out. Getting to the position where you have to do low level manoever is to avoid hitting the departure obstacles is how people kill themselves.

My criteria for a student on landing for every landing is + - 2 kts and no significant power or pitch change to fly to the planned touch down point with the touch down occurring in the correct tail low landing attitude touchdown; from 100 feet AGL to wheels down.

Make a point of striving for that all the time not just on the short runways and you will never get into the situation you described

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 29th May 2018 at 01:47.