PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Significant weather approaching Heathrow now with impressive lightning
Old 28th May 2018, 17:13
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
The lightning that occurred earlier this weekend reminded me of a "Lightning storm" that caught out a bunch of us kids, in about 1970. We were out in the fields when the storm approached, initially there was no rain, only multiple lightning strikes in a purple and green sky, getting closer. We eventually ran out of the fields in the hope of escaping it - I was a very fast runner back then and was in front of "the pack". About a mile later, as we ran through a building site the heavens opened and a large tree got struck by lightning, just off to my right side. The rest of the pack screamed blue murder; they thought I'd taken the hit because I disappeared in the flash. All I knew was that an extremely loud bang occurred at the same time as the lightning flashed all around, I was knocked off my feet and my surroundings briefly turned bright yellow. There was a very strong after smell, which I later learned was ozone (yes, not caused by me!). I never felt a thing, the lightning never actually touched me.