PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adding a 'Couple-a-Knots'
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 21:29
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ML, #32.

I appreciate a practical approach, assuming that your ‘who cares’ refers to the question and not the speed.

Taking a more philosophical, pedantic view for discussion, how would pilots know if the new landing performance will not be limiting, particularly if based on the current calculation ?

This issue reflects a much wider problem in modern operations, airmanship, professionalism. Lack of precision #31, experience #28, systems and aircraft knowledge, and the effect of external influences - FDR, SOPs, error, blame.

We might learn from Bertrand Russell “I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong”. Are pilot’s nowadays betting their careers on belief more than knowledge; 2 or 3kts of belief or personal preference.

We train in simulators - we cannot die, small deviations are accepted (the error is necessary in order to learn), but we rarely learn; instead we take to the air with the attitude that small deviations are OK, which of course can escalate to accepting situations without actually knowing the margin in operation between safety and ‘death’, loss of licence.

Are we lacking risk management skills because we don’t know, don’t’ care to find out, don’t plan ahead, or fail to ask a question; the response at #9 might be the better question for the owner of originating query #1 to ask of her/himself.