PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How hard does a 747 land???
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2000, 23:41
John Farley

Echo Tango

Ooooooooooops

Now you see why I have given up flying aeroplanes. Thanks for spotting that.

Andrew

One day when you fly your 747 (or A3XX?) you will learn about CRM or Cockpit Resource Management which is a buzz phrase for the crew working well together as a TEAM.
What you have just seen above from Echo Tango is an example of PPRune ARM (Academic Resource Management)

Also, Andrew, you will have realised from some of the posts to you here that the WHOLE story about what goes on in a landing is quite complex. My aim in my post was that you should understand the basics of speed and acceleration. No more than that. For the simple formula that I quoted to give the correct result for touchdown G increment it would be necessary that your rate of descent was steady (not changing up or down) as only then would the wing be carrying lift exactly equal to the weight. In a real landing it quite often happens that the aircraft is still reducing its rate of descent AT THE MOMENT IT TOUCHES DOWN. This means lift is more then weight and so there will be a small extra amount of G from that. Also that extra lift will continue to have an effect on things during the time that the undercarriage is compressing. Finally, on a tricycle gear aeroplane, the CG will settle through a greater distance than just the oleo compression if the main wheels hit before the nose. But don’t let all that put you off!

Incidentally, you may have realised that when a bad (heavy) landing happens it is not uncommon that the aircraft survives the first hit, bounces in to the air and breaks when it lands off the bounce. This is connected to the wing lift bit of the story above, after the bounce the crew might (instinctively) push the nose down to reduce the height of the bounce, this dumps a lot of wing lift and leaves the gear very poorly placed on the second hit. It can even be nose wheel first which would be even worse news.

Buzzoff

Aw shucks!

JF