PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mean time between failure
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 04:41
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
If you look at the aggregate engine failure rate you will find that around 80 % of all engine failures are caused by the actions or in actions of the pilot with carb icing and fuel contamination and mismanagement the leading causes. A total engine failure with no warning is statistically the least likely scenario

The best way to deal with an engine failure is to not have the engine fail in the first place. The way to avoid the EFATO is do a complete and effective DI, effectively checklist use and understand what the engine is telling you when you do the run up.

Nubboy,

I personally have elected not to takeoff after observing the following issues. Can you tell me why I aborted the flight ?
1) There was is no Mag drop when the Mags were cycled

2) At runup RPM both the oil temp and the oil pressure are at the bottom of the green

3) During the runup the ammeter constantly showed a + 20 amp indication

4) There was no drop in RPM when carb heat was applied

5) The fuel tanks were dipped and were almost full. The left fuel gauge showed just below full and the right gauge was pegged at the far right past the full indication

6) Assuming you are flying a fixed pitched prop aircraft what RPM would you expect to see at the beginning of the takeoff run at the moment you have the throttle full in?