PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DA42 or PA44
Thread: DA42 or PA44
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 04:19
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pattern_is_full
I've only flown the SE cousins to those two - found both/either to be nice planes. Stick vs. Yoke is personal preference. "Pop-top" entry and wrap-around window vs. single-door and split "B-17" windscreen (and cabin width) favors the Diamonds. Those big ol' "down by the knees - handful of throttles" in the DA will generate good "muscle memory" if you're planning to go all the way to jets.

I am intrigued that you got advice that the PA44 was "great to learn the hard stuff" - since it has counter-rotating props, which removes the chance to explore/experience the issues of a "critical engine."

That's for training - if I were buying one I'd get the Piper.
Could you elaborate on why you think the critical engine issues are important. I think you are overstating or over thinking this.

An engine can be critical for several reasons, i.e. only one engine is equipped with an alternator, or for aircraft with hydraulic systems only one engine has a hydraulic pump. You have referred to engines which counter rotate so I must assume you are talking about the difference in Vmca afforded by a CR engined aircraft.

From a training point of view there is absolutely no difference in how a CR and non CR aircraft are handled when it comes to Vmca. They will both experience Vmca (assuming Vmca occurs above Vs) and the recovery process is exactly the same for both aircraft. So I say your statement about not exploring/experiencing the issues of a "critical engine' is baseless in this case.

I'd also seriously question the benefits you proclaim for the throttle lever positions. They are so far different from a jet to be of no relevance at all.