PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash - Lively Island (FI, 1982)
Old 26th May 2018, 23:02
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Helicopter crash - Lively Island (FI, 1982)

Hello all,

Recently, a friend of mine who was there in 1982 (and was in charge of surveying the Argentine crash sites shortly after the war) told me he found on June 22, 1982 a Puma wreck north (or NE) of Lively Island.

I am pretty puzzled about it, because no Argentine Puma was lost there. Or even near there.

I am looking for the fate of Puma AE-505, shot down on May 9, 1982, at 1907z, by a Sea Dart launched from HMS Coventry. Coventry and HMS Broadsword were at the time S of the islands capital: Broadsword detected the helo over land and near Port Harriet and transmitted the helo position via link. Coventry then gained the contact and launched a single Sea Dart, which travelled 13 mn and impacted the helo near Port Pleasant (probably over land, according to Coventry´s BoI) - considerable distance from Lively Island.

It was the first Sea Dart kill ever. All crewmembers were lost.

According to my friend (who was very kind to dig out his own notes from that time), the Puma remains were burned out and no crew were identified.

Oddly enough, the Argentine Army always considered the helo crashed in the water, so no question was ever asked about this one.

I am aware some Ppruners were deployed down south after the 1982 war. Anyone remember about a crash site on Lively Island? Or have further info about this Argentine Army Puma AE-505? I think it could be very important for the relatives to know the full story.

Regards!