PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adding a 'Couple-a-Knots'
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2018, 20:01
Smokey Lomcevak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its in interesting question that divides opinion at my firm. As far as I am concerned, the landing speed is Vls. We need 5 kts for the Athr in managed speed because its very tolerant to small variations from the target. So generally, I'm not concerned about at target speed close to Vls - the Athr is going to respond if we get below that hockey stick. I do however understand those who have got into the practice of landing at FAC Vls +5 - to each his or her own. But please please please, check the speeds as part of your descent prep, brief what you want to see on the PFD, especially if you expect your colleague to land at a particular speed, and check them during the initial approach. Check S speed from PFD and MCDU - that will tell you any discrepancy away from the ground. 800ft and IMC is not the time to be heads down fiddling with speeds in the mcdu, especially if one is PF at the time, and particularly if your colleague has no idea what your doing, and has no desire for your amendments...