PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prime Minister today RAF 100 speech
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2018, 16:58
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumping_Jack
Hmmmm, I think I'd feel more valued if the Govt did something about a pay rise this year. All these delaying tactics smack of them trying to find a way to dish out another real term pay cut when pay is on the up in civvy street. Hasn't stopped them putting up my rent wef 1Apr, just looked at my pay sheets, I'm now getting £70 a month less than this time last year........
If you recall they said the announcement would be delayed well into summer / autumn with rises back dated to Apr - although I take your point about charges going up already.

The fact is that although the 1% limit is dead, there is no money for anymore. Fallon was explicit in that at a Town Hall I sat in on just before he jumped. Any more than 1% means cuts elswhere to fund it. That means if anyone is getting over 1%, then some could well be getting below 1% or even nothing. It all depends how CAS wants to slice the pie, but the later AFCAS readout can’t have made life easier.

Added to our combined pessimism is the fact that a large proportion of the public sector have at least been offered 1%+. If I were being massively cynical I’d say the longer they can drag it out for the MOD, the easier it becomes to sneak out another low rise and a hope that sufficient time has passed not to compare it to the rest of the public sector rises.