PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What about Tengah?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 08:21
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

I arrived at Tengah in Oct 63 as a 19 Year old Pilot Officer Navigator on a Bomber squadron. The land of Tiger Beer (Tiger Tops is for wusses) and numerous schoolteachers. In two and a half years I learnt all my bad habits which stood me in good stead on the Tanker Force.
I can back up MPN11's assessment of "the pace and intensity" of Tengah ATC. One day, in a four ship of Canberras, we broke into the Visual Circuit as " Numbers7,8,9 and 10 Downwind with 4 in the Instrument Pattern". The traffic could vary from any/all of the Tengah based types plus a Single Engined Pioneer, a Beverley and a couple of FAA Buccaneers. Quite a range of airspeeds downwind.
"The pace and intensity" also applies to the Social life. Details of which can be read in my autobiography after the 50 year embargo has expired.
Flying was also amazing with most of it being at 250ft AGL over the 200 ft trees covering most of Malaysia. One attack profile was level at 60ft. It is "rumoured" that a Canberra hit two Flying Fish over China rock range. These days you would be grounded before your first 6 months was up!!