PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French ATC and CPDLC
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 07:56
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zonoma
I will completely agree that it is a long way from replacing voice comms, I'd go further and say it will never be able to completely replace voice comms due to the maximum possible delay between sending a message and that message being actioned. As others have said as well, the ATN vs FANS systems is a problem (well FANS is a problem in itself) but I do use CPDLC to send 4 or 5 instructions whilst I give and receive read back of just one voice comms transfer. The equipment I use needs all the information typing into the system regardless if CPDLC or comms, I just have a choice of two buttons, one simply enters it into the system, the other sends it via CPDLC. Comms change is even simpler by left mouse clicking the radar data block & selecting it on the drop down menu that appears. However the messages can fail (more regularly that one would like), it isn't supposed to be used below FL195 (and I've seen consequences when it has), it can be slow (up to 60 seconds is a joke!), pilots can still try & use the rtf to confirm the message they have received & other incorrect responses to messages occur. We also get messages sent to us that are irrelevant (due to the sectors, upper limits etc) & the phraseology to disconnect a FANS aircraft is far more than it was worth trying to use CPDLC.

On a side & going back to the original thread, although France has turned on CPDLC and aircraft can log on, complying with the Eurocontrol timeframe, not all centres are currently equipped to send or receive any CPDLC messages.
So you're not using Thales gear?