PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexible working in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2018, 06:01
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
The UK military has to adapt and move with the times - if only to reflect the society it serves and the expectations of both those already serving and those high-calibre individuals we wish to recruit and retain. Whereas it will always be (comparatively) simple to recruit aircrew, we need to accept that other roles, including, increasingly Cyber/IT/J6, we will face stiff competition for talent. My son is about to read Computer Science at Uni and wants a career in SW development or Cyber; he could not be less interested in joining up as the "offer" is nothing like as strong as the Ts and Cs promised by Google, Amazon or any other number of "Millennial Friendly" tech companies. I still spend plenty of time with friends and colleagues - they often seem fatigued and increasingly fatalistic about the direction of travel. I've offered to help out with a couple of niche areas where I'm SQEP, but there's no simple mechanism for employing me on an ad hoc basis. Perhaps the VeRR scheme (Volunteer ex-Regular Reserve), if expanded RAF wide, may enable those with some time to spare the opportunity to exploit our experience without the complications or commitment that other forms of reserve service bring?