PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2018, 05:49
Bell_ringer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by r22butters
Well, with every school from whom I've rented, when their 22's time out for rebuild, they disappear and I never see them again. I don't know anything about lease agreements, but it seems they just swap out the used up 22's for another one?

I've flown around thirty-five 22's over the years, but only two were brand spanking new. So maybe that's where the corners are cut?
VF summed it up well. The financial model isn't defined by what you are prepared to pay. Operational costs are what makes the difference for an operators bottom line. Many operators do not have the means to buy a new aircraft, they will buy an old Robbie that is getting near the end (because its cheap), ride out the hours and then flog the carcass. Rinse and repeat.
Those schools that are more substantial and use plenty of hours can invest in a new aircraft and gain the benefits from the improved maintenance schedule and overall lower running costs.

If Robinson ever try produce a new generation 22 (highly unlikely), or move away from that terrible rotor design, the modern certification costs are likely to narrow the gap to the Cabri which would spell the end for the 22.

Last edited by Bell_ringer; 24th May 2018 at 05:50. Reason: grammar gremlins