PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:01
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb

Not for one second do i believe EZY will base aircraft from SOU in the foreseeable future. However, they could quite conceivably operate a small number of routes from their EZY bases throughout Europe with rumours abound that PMI will commence next summer. I don't see how this will dilute the LGW operation when PMI and other med routes have operated successfully from SOU for years and EZY will most likely be taking on the mantle from the incumbent airline and the repeat business that this enjoys!
Of course they could open a base. Have you seen how many aircraft they have on order? Like with all low cost carriers, they are always looking for the next place to park a few. Why wouldn’t SOU with its affluent catchment and biggest cruise turnaround port in Europe not be an option?

Yes the runway is an issue, but Southend’s isn’t much longer? Basically, Southend is the antidote to every arguement against EZY basing at SOU. Larger stands can be created to the north east of the airport (see master plan). One of the options even included a second terminal to serve the north east stands (maybe EZY could have there own terminal).

do I think any of the above will happen, no of course not. To say EZY wouldn’t open a base if SOU provided them the right environment is not true though.