PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney ATIS: DO NOT PASS THRU ASSIGNED RWY CL
Old 23rd May 2018, 13:44
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Australopithecus
I cannot think of a time that I have been vectored through the localiser toward the adjacent approach where traffic was a factor. I did have to abandon a 34R approach on an RA. The offending traffic blew his turn onto 34L and went through both centrelines.
Slight thread drift although basically on the subject but worth recounting. In the 'Fifties, the prototype T-VASIS was being tested using Sydney Runway 25 as the initial commissioning. DCA used a DC3 to fly down the T-VASIS with a theodolite operator on the ground measuring the angle flown by the DC3 compared to what the DC3 was seeing on approach. ATC directed the DC3 not to cross Runway 16 during each go-around so the DC3 would turn sharply left on go-around at 200 feet.

DCA required the T-VASIS to be operational for aircraft flying up to 250 knots in case of faster overseas aircraft types like fighters. To meet this requirement the RAAF were asked to provide a Sabre fighter to make runs down the T-VASIS at night to check the flyability at varying speeds from 150 knots to 250 knots. . On one such run, the Sabre while turning steeply left to avoid crossing active Runway 16 at 200 knots plus, came close to crossing Runway 16 due its radius of turn at high speed. ATC stopped the trial because of danger to aircraft using 16. The Sabre pilot came up with a solution. At 200 feet instead of breaking left he would break vertically. And that is what he did; pulling lots of "G" at 200 feet going vertical with a roll of the top of the loop and then to re-position for another high speed run down the T-VASIS. That worked nicely even at night and the trials were then successfully concluded.

Last edited by Judd; 24th May 2018 at 03:17.